Wednesday 20 March 2019

Bilhah Says #MeToo

Hello, I'd like to add my voice to the #MeToo movement. My name is Bilhah. You can read my story in Genesis 29, and 30.  

Jacob was the father of the 12 tribes of Israel. He married two sisters, Rachel and Leah.  I was given to Rachel to be her handmaid or slave by Rachel's father, Laban.

I did not chose to be a slave, to be treated as property passed from Laban to Rachel.

Rachel was upset that she was not getting pregnant, and was jealous that her sister Leah was having children. So Rachel gave me to Jacob to have some children for her.

I had no choice or voice when it came to sex.

With your modern ethical standards, I wonder if you would view having sex with a slave girl consensual or not?

So two of my sons, Dan and Naphtali become the ancestors of two of the 12 tribes of Israel.

But I'd like to say #MeToo with the other women who have been treated like property, and have had no choice or voice when it comes to sex.


Read more on this blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zilpah Says #MeToo

Hello, I'd like to add my voice to the #MeToo movement. My name is Zilpah. You can read my story in Genesis 29, and 30.   Jacob...