Sunday 17 March 2019

Sarah Says #MeToo

Hello, I'd like to add my voice to the #MeToo movement. My name is Sarah. I'm the wife of Abraham.  My husband is known for being the father of the nation Israel.  Many people view Abraham as a good godly man, one of the heros of their faith.  They have their reasons for viewing him this way.

But please allow me to say #MeToo with all the women who have been treated like property traded between men.

There were times where I had no choice or voice when it came to sex.

So I guess it started with my brother Abraham deciding with our dad that we would get married. Decisions about marriage were made between father of the bride and the groom.  And yes, Abraham and I had the same father, but different mothers - so it started with a decision between my father and my brother that I should marry my brother Abraham.

The next time I felt like property to be traded and used by men is recorded in Genesis 12. There was a famine so we went to Egypt for awhile. Abraham feared that the Egyptians would kill him and take me. Abraham decided he would rather share me with Pharaoh than be honest about our marriage. We told them that I was just Abraham's sister (which was half true).  Pharaoh took me and used me. Abraham was treated well for giving me to Pharaoh until Pharaoh discovered the full truth. 

Years later Abraham tried to pull the same stunt with Abimelech, king of Gerar (recorded in Genesis 20). King Abimelech took me to his place, but this time God speaks to Abimelech before anything happened.

I pray a day will come when women do not get treated like property to be traded back and forth between men. 

With any women who feels they have been treated like property I want to say #MeToo!



Read more on this blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zilpah Says #MeToo

Hello, I'd like to add my voice to the #MeToo movement. My name is Zilpah. You can read my story in Genesis 29, and 30.   Jacob...