Saturday 16 March 2019

Hagar voices #MeToo

Hello, I'd like to add my voice to the #MeToo movement. My name is Hagar. You can read my story in Genisis 16, and 21.  I was Sarah's handmaid, or slave girl. 

I know the #MeToo movement is about sexual harassment and assault, and I my story isn't exactly along those lines. However want to share my voice as a woman who was treated as property. I had no choice or voice when it came to sex, and after I was used I was discarded.

Many people view Abraham as a good godly man. He is considered on of the hero of their faith.  They may have their reasons for viewing him this way, but my memories are different.  

Abraham and Sarah could not get pregnant. Abraham wanted a son, and he believed God had promised that he would have a son. My master Sarah decided to offer me to Abraham. Neither of them asked me what I thought of the plan. 

I had no choice or voice in the matter.  

With your modern ethical standards, I wonder if you would you consider this consensual sex or not?


It actually gets worse for me. After Sarah has a child of her own, she is upset that I also have a child of Abraham's.  She convinces Abraham to send me off into the desert with my son.  My life, or the life of my son no longer had any value to them. 

So yes, I feel I was sexually mistreated by Abraham and Sarah. I was forced to have sex, and then discarded afterwards.  #MeToo


Read more on this blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zilpah Says #MeToo

Hello, I'd like to add my voice to the #MeToo movement. My name is Zilpah. You can read my story in Genesis 29, and 30.   Jacob...